The Board met in early February 2020 to discuss several important agenda items. Among many important decisions and discussions, these included review of the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) and Tłı̨chǫ Government (TG) Response to the
WRRB Reasons for Decision Final Report – kokètì ekwǫ̀ (Bathurst Caribou) Herd , review of the GNWT and TG’s Joint Proposal on Management Actions for Wolves (dìga) on the Bathurst and Bluenose-East Barren-ground Caribou (ɂekwǫ̀) Herd Winter Ranges: 2020-2025, review of the Wildlife Research Permit Application - Wolf Collaring on the Central Barrens, as well as review and approval to post the Draft Horned Grebe Management Plan to the Federal Species at Risk Public Registry.
Following this meeting, an emergency meeting was called to discuss the possibility of altering the Board’s February 12, 2020 decision to hold a Level 2 proceeding for GNWT and TG’s Joint Proposal on Management Actions for Wolves (dìga) on the Bathurst and Bluenose-East Barren-ground Caribou (ɂekwǫ̀) Herd Winter Ranges: 2020-2025. The intention of this emergency meeting was to consider if it would be possible to allow TG and GNWT to move forward with dìga management actions this season in an attempt to slow or halt the decline and help the desperate situation of the ɂekwǫ̀ (barren-ground caribou) while still allowing the WRRB to conduct their mandated process. After presentations from TG and ENR, the Board came to the decision that despite the difficult situation they were placed in, the ɂekwǫ̀ could not wait for actions to begin next year. A pilot project was proposed allowing dìga management actions to begin this year but requiring the full proposal for the following four years to be resubmitted to the Board in the fall, including lessons learned from the pilot project. At that time, the Level 2 proceeding will move ahead as previously planned to ensure more fulsome consultation is conducted, and the Board can ensure best practices are being used.